As we begin 2023, I remain optimistic that the Education Insights Center (EdInsights) will focus on ways we can support California’s higher education system by informing policymaking and improving practice to create more equitable outcomes for students. These past few years have shown us that we can persevere, address equity issues (even in the midst of our racial and health pandemics), and care for our communities and each other.
In 2022, we proudly:
- Completed our first year with me as our newly appointed executive director.
- Grew our team by hiring two new research associates and an administrative assistant.
- Met in-person for the first time with our full team for a summer retreat and strategic planning workshop in Sacramento.
- Continued supporting our evaluation clients with timely, evidence-based feedback to improve their efforts toward equitable student success.
- Resumed in-person meetings for our two statewide initiatives; The CSU Student Success Network and the California Education Policy Fellowship Program.
- Published a new 76-page report titled “Toward Racial Justice in California’s Education Systems,” which seeks to advance a public dialogue about and action toward racial justice across the state’s public schools, colleges, and universities from the California Education Policy Fellowship Program (CA EPFP).
- Published a new research brief titled “CSU Leaders Navigating the Pandemic and Racial Injustice” along with several other memos and blogs as a part of the Knowledge Center from the CSU Student Success Network (Network).
This will be a new year of opportunities. EdInsights is in the process of refining its strategic plan and will have it completed this year. We are looking forward to sharing it with you in 2023!
Dr. LeAnn Fong-Batkin, Executive Director